You can now update your Motorola Xoom to Ice Cream Sandwich ROM, thanks to razorbladex401 of XDA Developers Forum, But this update is strictly for Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi only. Some members of XDA said that they have updated their 3G Xoom with this method successfully. If you want to try this with 3G Xoom version, I advise you to make a Nandroid Backup incase something bad happens.
Here’s the simple steps in updating your Motorola Xoom.
- Make sure that your device battery is charged at least 60%
- Backup your device data into your computer.
- Turn on USB Debugging, on your homescreen tap Menu> Settings> Application> Development. Then, make sure that USB debugging is checked.
- Motorola Xoom
- USB Data Cable
- First, your Motorola Xoom should be rooted and have custom recovery to update your device. Just follow the link if your phone isn’t rooted and have custom recovery.
- Then, download ICS AOSP Xoom Wi-Fi and Google Apps into your computer.
- Next, connect your device to the computer using your USB Data Cable.
- Once connected, copy the 2 files you have previously downloaded to the root directory of your SD card.
- Disconnect your device to the computer.
- Turn off your device.
- Go to recovery mode.
- Turn your XOOM off
- Press Power to turn your XOOM back on
- When the Motorola Dual Core boot screen appears tap Volume Down repeatedly until “Android Recovery” is displayed
- Press Volume Up to enter Recovery
- Now before we begin flashing/updating your device first we will make a Nandroid Backup, just incase there have a problem we can restore our device to its original state by Nandroid Restore.
- To make Nandroid Backup, from the main menu select Backup and Restore> Nandroid Backup.
- Then, go back to main menu select “Wipe data/factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition”.
- Next, go back to main menu and select the option of Install zip from sd card> Choose zip from sd card> then choose full_wingray-ota-eng.root-cwm.zip to start updating your phone to Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware.
- After a successful update go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now.
- Again go back to Custom Recovery and Flash the Google Apps, just follow the step 11-12.
Congratulations you have successfully updated your Motorola Xoom to Ice Cream Sandwich ROM.
- How to Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Motorola XOOM Running Android 4.0.3 ICS
- How to Root and Install Custom Recovery in Motorola Xoom WiFi on ICS Android 4.0.3 Firmware
- How to Install Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 on your Motorola Xoom WiFi
This article, ICS ROM For Motorola Xoom (Wi-Fi) Available [Download and Install] , was originally published at AndroidAuthority.com – Your Android News Source.