Right now, the Android operating system is absolutely dominating the Chinese market. To get a snapshot of this, we can look at how iOS smartphones accounted for about 25% of sales in 2014, with the Android operating system constituting an overwhelming majority of the remaining 75%. However, Apple is responsible for that entire 25%, whereas Android sales are scattered across a slew of competing companies like Huawei, Xiaomi, Meizu, and Oppo. However, the growth of iPhone sales has been in decline since 2014, and now one of the Android companies is closing the gap.
Huawei is the dark horse that everybody is starting to notice. Back in 2014, the scrappy company only sold 5% of Android smartphones worldwide. By the beginning of this year, Huawei had nearly tripled this figure, snagging 14% of the global smartphone market. That’s a pretty massive figure for a company that hardly has any presence at all in the US, and has only recently broken into European markets. Huawei’s invasion of Europe has been pretty damn successful, with their numbers doubling in both France and Great Britain over the course of 2015 to secure a number-four position in brand ranking, while achieving second place in Italy, Spain, and Germany.
But that doesn’t even touch on where Huawei is really killing it, because these guys have quickly become a force to be reckoned with on their home turf of China. While Apple’s growth has slowed substantially since 2014, Huawei has been briskly closing the gap, capturing fully 24.3% of the market. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, this Chinese company is establishing itself as a major global player in the smartphone industry, and they’ve got some crazy momentum on their side.
What are your thoughts regarding the ongoing rise of Huawei? Have you had experience with their products before? Let us know your opinions in the comments below!