Android fans, this week brought us a glimpse into the future of Android and Chrome OS, which will reportedly be merging starting next year. Android is coming to PCs and that means some big changes are afoot. In other news, Motorola launched the Droid Turbo 2, with its shatterproof screen, the Droid Maxx 2, and the international Moto X Force. OnePlus released its second device this year, the affordable, but stylish OnePlus X. And Samsung showed us once again that it thinks big, with the 18-inch Galaxy View.
Inside AA HQ
The Wall Street Journal report from last week about the lack of relevance that the dual-OS approach now has inside Google sparked a lot of interesting conversations about the future of Android. Google is planning to “fold” Chrome OS into its much more popular mobile operating system, and on face value, that seems like a sensible decision. Android is on 1.4 billion devices. The sheer size of this user base gives Android a real fighting chance against the stalwart Windows.
But having a chance is one thing, seizing it is another, and looking at how the Android ecosystem has yet to realize the potential of tablets, Google definitely has its work cut out for it. Competition isn’t sitting idle either. Microsoft might be dead in the water when it comes to phones, but Windows 10 is a powerful, extremely mature platform, that’s deeply entrenched into the market. It will be very interesting to see how Google approaches this problem, and we at Android Authority definitely look forward to extending our coverage to yet another class of devices.
This week we’re giving away a OnePlus X! This sleek and compact device can be yours – if luck is on your side – if you throw your name in the hat right here.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Review: One A9 is definitely controversial – but how good is it? Josh weighs in.
- Comparison: Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X: we help you make up your mind.
- Review: The Nexus 5X is the Google phone for the people – is it worth your money?
- Review: Josh reviews the excellent Nexus 6P – see his thoughts here.
- Comparison: Mid-range showdown: Nexus 5X vs Moto X Style
Top news of the week
- OnePlus X officially announced: what you need to know
- OnePlus X hands-on and first impressions
- OnePlus X will be temporarily sold invite free in these cities
Droid Turbo 2, Droid Maxx 2, and Moto X Force
- Motorola announces Moto X Force with iPhone and Galaxy S6 drop test
- Motorola Droid Maxx 2 officially announced: everything you need to know
- Droid Turbo 2 officially announced: what you need to know
- Motorola Droid Turbo 2 vs Moto X Style quick look
- Motorola Droid Turbo 2 hands-on and first look
- How does Motorola’s new ShatterShield technology work?
- Motorola Droid Maxx 2 first look
Android and Chrome
- Report: Google to fold Chrome OS into Android by 2017
- Android + Chrome OS: four big questions
- Android boss says Google is still “very committed” to Chrome OS
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.
Android Authority Newsletters