It was another interesting week in the world of Android, with cool new devices, software updates, and a slew of financial news revealing the latest trends in the industry. Samsung announced quarterly results that were just as bad as forecasted, OnePlus put up its flagship killer on pre-order, Amazon launched a Chromecast competitor, Motorola introduced the powerful Droid Turbo, Oppo launched the N3 and the amazingly thing R5, Nexus 6 went up for pre-order (and went down just as quickly), the Galaxy A series finally went official, and Google continued to materialize its apps.
Welcome to Android Authority this week.
Inside AA HQ
October was a record month for Android Authority. On the website, we had the highest number of page views in our history. On our social channels, interaction is flourishing, as more and people follow us on Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, and even Instagram and Pinterest. Our YouTube channel is heading towards one million subscribers. In short, Android Authority is thriving, and it’s all thanks to you, our dear readers. With your support, we’ll continue to push forward and be your source of all things Android!
We’re finally on a new server and a new CDN connection, and the new setup is blowing the old one out of the water. Derek is also working on optimizing the software side, so the website and the forums load faster and smoother for everyone. Thanks for your patience!
Next week, we’ll finally get our hands on the Nexus 9, as the HTC-made tablet starts shipping tomorrow. Lanh is working on the Nexus 9 review as you are reading this – look for it tomorrow. The Nexus 6 and the Nexus Player are also in the house! Lollipop updates should begin rolling out in the following days as well, and we’ll cover everything in depth.
Our Opera Max Halloween-themed giveaway ended last week, and Justin B. from Canada won the grand prize consisting of a Nexus 9, Moto X (2014), and Moto 360. Congrats to all winners! Meanwhile, our newest Sunday Giveaway puts a OnePlus One up for grabs.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here some other interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- First look: Nexus 6 unboxing and first impressions
- First look: Nexus 9 unboxing and first impressions
- Feature: What’s happening to Samsung?
- Vox populi: Where did Samsung go wrong? What can they do about it?
- Feature: What does Apple Pay mean for Android?
- Guide: Best Android tablets under $199
Top news of the week
Here are the top news in the Android world this week:
- Samsung feels the pressure in China, plans to release new line of budget-friendly smartphones
- Samsung’s Q3 net profit down nearly 50% year-on-year
- Samsung will ‘fundamentally reform’ its smartphones going forward
- OnePlus One pre-order promo extended until at least 2PM EST, running into issues (updated)
- OnePlus apologizes for pre-order issues yesterday, offering second chance on Nov 17
- Invitation Only: OnePlus to sell a limited number of bamboo covers
- OnePlus developing its own Android ROM for OnePlus Two, to replace Color OS
Fire TV Stick
- Motorola Droid Turbo official: huge battery, Quad HD screen, powerful specs
- Motorola Droid Turbo hands-on and first impressions
- Droid Turbo vs the Moto X (2014) and Nexus 6
- Motorola Droid Turbo, in pictures
- Could there be a global version of the Droid Turbo?
Google apps updates
- Google Fit app arrives to Google Play
- Google: Lollipop is the most secure version of Android yet
- Google making it easy for 3rd party apps to integrate ‘Ok Google’ search
- Material Design updates rolling out for Google Wallet and Play Games
- Google Play Movies & TV update brings Material Design and new Info Cards
- Material Design update hits Google Drive, Docs, Slides and Sheets
- Gmail 5.0 is rolling out to Google Play, grab the APK now
- Google on the Nexus 6: try it, you may like it
- Buy a Nexus 6 and get 6 months of free Google Play Music All Access
- Nexus 6 is now available for pre-order in the Play Store, ships from November 21
Oppo N3 and R5
- Oppo R5 announced: hands-on with a crazy thin smartphone
- Oppo N3 hands-on and first impressions
- Oppo N3 announced: one of the most interesting phones you can get
Galaxy A series
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: