Have you just purchased a brand new Chromecast and have no clue how to set it up? Don’t worry – Android Authority is here to help you through the process.
By the way, those who haven’t yet purchased a Chromecast should really consider doing so. It is only $35 and allows you to beam content from your phone or tablet to a TV. Depending on your needs, it could be a full replacement to actual smart TV devices. Some of us here at Android Authority would say it is the best $35 we have spent in a while.
Either way, let’s just right in to the instructions.
How to set up a Chromecast using your Android phone:
- Plug your Chromecast into your TV’s HDMI input.
- Plug your Chromecast to a USB port in your TV. If there isn’t a free USB port on your TV (or if it’s being used), go ahead and use the included power adapter to connect the device to an outlet.
- Change your TV’s input channel to the same one your Chromecast is connected to.
- Download the Google Cast Android app from the Google Play Store.
- Open the app, accept the terms, sign into your Google account and follow instructions.
- The main page should show up after the initial setup is complete.
- Tap “Devices” and hit “Set Up” once you see your Chromecast appear.
- Select “Set Up” once again.
- A code should appear on both your TV and smartphone screens. Make sure it’s the same one on both devices.
- You will be asked if you want to change your Chromecast’s name to something unique. You can do so, or you can leave the default one on. When done, select “Set Name”.
- Next, you will be asked to choose a Wi-Fi network for your Chromecast. Go through the necessary steps and then select “Set Network”.
- Your Chromecast might get some updates. Just wait until they are done.
- Your Chromecast device should launch. After this, you are ready to enjoy your Google Cast experience!
Once all is set up, compatible applications on your devices should show a Cast icon (when connected to the same Wi-Fi network). For example, when watching a YouTube video, simply hit the Cast icon and select your specific device. The content will show up on your large screen TV and you can easily control it with your smartphone. Easy as pie!
Any questions? Feel free to reach out in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.