Note that this is still very early in the development stage. While anyone can download and install this build of Fennec, it will crash. It will hang. It’s a little buggy. And it’s very cool that Mozilla lets us play with it this early in its life, so don’t judge it too harshly. A few warnings from Mozilla’s Vladimir Vukićević:
- We’ve only really tested this on the Motorola Droid and the Nexus One.
- It will likely not eat your phone, but bugs might cause your phone to stop responding, requiring a reboot.
- Memory usage of this build isn’t great — in many ways it’s a debug build, and we haven’t really done a lot of optimization yet. This could cause some problems with large pages, especially on low memory devices like the Droid.
- You’ll see the app exit and relaunch on first start, as well as on add-on installs; this is a quirk of our install process, and we’re working to get rid of it.
- You can’t open links from other apps using Fennec; we should have this for the next build.
Anyhoo, you can download Fennec here. (FWIW: Mozilla tested with the Nexus One and Droid — your mileage may vary — and it does NOT work if you’re running Apps2SD.) And be sure to read Vlad’s blog for complete instructions and troubleshooting, including instructions for installing Weave.